6. The Stones of St Oswald's, Lythe
When St Oswald's church was rebuilt in 1910 an extraordinary collection of Anglo-Scandinavian carved stones was found. Built into the walls and buttresses were 49 Anglo-Scandinavian carved stones, dating mainly from the 10th century.
The stones, mainly crosses and hogbacks, have been cleaned and conserved by York Archaeological Trust Conservation Laboratory and put on display in the church. Paintings by Peter Snowball show how the dramatic landscape of the North Yorkshire coast might have looked around a thousand years ago as Viking traders settled and adopted Christian beliefs.